Splitboard Freeride Course
Splitboard Freeride Course
26th – 30th March 2018
Our Splitboard Freeride course is a mix of splitboarding and traditional backcountry riding. The mix of both gives the freedom to spend the days splitboarding on longer tours or doing short hike backcountry riding depending on the weather and snow conditions.
The week is led by our high mountain guide (UIAGM) David Gladwin. Each day David will use his vast knowledge of the mountain areas of the Portes du Soleil to hunt out the very best snow conditions and then take you there so you can ride the best powder possible during the course.
Throughout the week David will develop your splitboarding technique and technical backcountry riding by coaching you in the skills and techniques needed to ride off-piste; on natural terrain and in varying snow conditions. The course also has a strong
emphasis on mountain safety. You will also develop your skills needed to approach the backcountry safely & responsibly. This includes, analysis of terrain & snowpack conditions to ensure safe ascents & descents and advanced avalanche search & rescue training.
The Splitboard Freeride course is based in the Portes du Soleil for the full week with the decision on whether to splitboard or short hike being dependent on the local weather and snow conditions. If conditions allow we will run an optional day trip to ride the epic backcountry of the Mont Blanc Massif in Chamonix.
We also offer a Splitboard Intro course for newbie splitboarders wanting to learn the basics and explore the area via shorter hikes.
Day 1: Warm up day with coaching in splitboard setup, touring techniques and a refresh of avalanche & mountain safety skills
Day 2: Splitboard adventure in the Portes du Soleil – including mountain safety awareness training on how to access terrain safely
Day 3: Splitboard adventure in the Portes du Soleil
Day 4: Splitboard adventure in the Portes du Soleil
Day 5: Splitboard adventure in the Portes du Soleil
Travelling alone? Not a problem! Our snowboard courses are designed with solo-travellers in mind. They are a great way to progress your snowboarding, learning in a small group with others of the same level… and you will end the week with a bunch of new snowboard friends!
- Group size: Max 6 (Min 4)
- Price: 5 full days (5 x 6hrs) = 730€
- Requirements: Advanced rider who is confident in all conditions and is experienced in riding off piste & powder. A good level of fitness is required as you can expect to hike a couple of hours a day.
- Picture gallery: Photos from recent Backcountry Courses
- Extra info: Check here for any extra info you require on the Mint Snowboard Camps
- Accommodation: is recommended in Morzine or Avoriaz. The course will held up on the slopes of Avoriaz (very easy to access from Morzine). We have lots of accommodation options so please get in touch.
- 5 full days on snow coaching with fully qualified BASI ISTD Snowboard instructor / UIAGM Aspirant Guide (5 x 6hrs)
- Splitboard & backcountry skills coaching throughout the week
- Avalanche awareness, search & rescue training
*Safety equipment (transceiver, shovel & probe) is required. Splitboards can be rented in Morzine & we will help organise this in advance for you.
"I had an incredible time on the Splitboard Course! Great splitboard guiding with a real expert who knows the terrain & conditions as well as being safety conscious. Ascents were challenging, descents were epic with both tight tree runs, open powder fields and even the odd gnarly couloir. One of the best snowboard trips I have done!!! Vive la Mint! "Mark