Splitboard Intro Course
Splitboard Intro Course
5th – 9th March 2018
Do you want to head away from the ski lifts and discover the freedom of the mountains? Splitboarding is all about strapping in, trekking out and riding untracked terrain that just isn’t possible to get to by hiking. Skiers have had this luxury forever, now it’s your turn!
The aim of the Splitboard Intro Course is to introduce you to the essentials of splitboard touring and to take you into the incredible backcountry terrain of the Portes du Soleil. Throughout the course there is also a strong focus on teaching you mountain safety skills so you know how to assess risks and travel safely in the backcountry. Over five days you will learn fundamental splitboard touring techniques & skills, how to assess ascent/decent lines and avalanche & mountain awareness.
The week is led by our high mountain guide (UIAGM) David Gladwin. David will work with you to develop your splitboarding technique and mountain awareness skills. He will use his vast knowledge of the Portes du Soleil to take you on a fresh mountain adventure each day so you can ride the best powder conditions. The start of each tour is lift accessed but you can expect to skin between 300 – 500 meters of vertical height gain each day, so a good base level of fitness is needed to make sure you get the most out of each day.
We also offer a splitboard freeride course for experienced splitboarders wanting to reach new lines and hunt out the best snow in Morzine and the Portes du Soleil.
Day 1: Warm up day with coaching in splitboard setup, touring techniques and a refresh of avalanche & mountain safety skills
Day 2: Splitboard adventure in the Portes du Soleil – including mountain safety awareness training on how to access terrain safely
Day 3: Splitboard adventure in the Portes du Soleil
Day 4: Splitboard adventure in the Portes du Soleil
Day 5: Splitboard adventure in the Portes du Soleil
Travelling alone? Not a problem! Our snowboard courses are designed with solo-travellers in mind. They are a great way to progress your snowboarding, learning in a small group with others of the same level… and you will end the week with a bunch of new snowboard friends!
- Group size: Max 6 (Min 4)
- Price: 5 full days (5 x 6hrs) = 730€
- Requirements: Advanced rider who is confident in all conditions and is experienced riding off-piste & powder. A good level of fitness is required as you can expect to hike a couple of hours each day (300-500mtr vertical height gain).
- Picture gallery: Photos from recent Backcountry Courses
- Extra info: Check here for any extra info you require on the Mint Snowboard Camps
- Accommodation: is recommended in Morzine or Avoriaz. The course will held up on the slopes of Avoriaz (very easy to access from Morzine). We have lots of accommodation options so please get in touch.
- 5 full days on snow coaching with fully qualified BASI ISTD Snowboard instructor / UIAGM Aspirant Guide (5 x 6hrs)
- Splitboard & backcountry skills coaching throughout the week
- Avalanche awareness, search & rescue training
*Safety equipment (transceiver, shovel & probe) is required. Splitboards can be rented in Morzine & we will help organise this in advance for you.