It seems that spring has sprung here in the Portes Du Soleil meaning we are really living up to the name! Don’t worry there is more snow on the cards but whilst the beautiful bluebird days are here we should make the most of them!
Here are a few little pointers to make sure you get out on the slopes, snowboard every day but stay safe!
- Many people think that because there is snow our risk of getting sunburnt is not as high, well have we got news for you! The lovely snow reflects the sun between 70 and 90% depending on how new the snow is. This means it’s really important that we use sunscreen as not only are we getting the UV rays from above but then it is reflecting back up at us from below! If you want to find out what the UV Index for the day is the you can check here for Avoriaz, Morzine, and Les Gets.
- We all love the clean and clear mountain air making us feel fresh and alive, but did you know that because of the altitude we are at in the mountains and the clear air we are exposed to even more UV rays.
- We always advise drinking lots of water when you are going out snowboarding as it’s really easy to become dehydrated which affects you in all kinds of ways (read our blog on nutrition for more information on this!) but it stands to reason that when it’s sunny and warm and you are being active you will really need to replace the fluids your body is losing! Keep hydrated and it means you can shred all day long in the sunshine!
- Just like by the beach or in the towns, the UV rays from the sun are strongest between 10am and 4pm. Now this is likely to be your prime shredding time so make sure you either cover up or use a good sun screen that you can reapply throughout the day.
- Finally, the UV Rays also affect your peepers! Did you know your eyes can get sunburnt too? Yes that’s right, take all those rays from above and reflected rays from below, minus some good goggles or sunglasses and you can actually sunburn the front surface of your eyes. If you have young children it is even more important to protect their eyes as they will be more vulnerable to the UV Rays.
So, we hope that has given you some food for thought as to why you should have a high factor, good quality sun cream and some good eye protection! Now get out there and enjoy the amazing snow in the sunshine!
Here at Mint we want to make sure we are seeing the raddest seasonnaire snowboarders coming from Morzine Avoriaz so decided we wanted to offer some help!
Maybe you want to get to grips with flatland tricks, butters, 180’s, nollies and ollies. Perhaps the half pipe is where your aspirations lie? Or could slaying the rails and boxes be your forte? Whether it’s half pipe, kickers or jibbing the piste we have a weekly offering for you!
Just €40 for a 3 hour session* taking place on Friday afternoons at 1pm in Avoriaz.
- January 17th – Half Pipe
- January 31st – Girls only
- February 7th – Flatland tricks and jibbing the piste
- February 14th – Boxes & Rails
- February 28th – Jumps and spins
Get in touch on email@example.com for more information
*Class minimum of 5 and maximum of 7. Full payment must be made within 24 hours of receiving payment request email to confirm your booking.
Recommend a friend and take home a pair of Anon goggles!
Our facebook friends will have seen the snow falling at Mint hq already so it’s only fair we get you even more excited about winter and tantalise you with our amazing snowboard camp deal!
From now until November 30th we have an incredible deal on our snowboard camp bookings! If you book before the deadline and get a friend to book with you, you will both receive 50€ off your booking*! As if that isn’t enough, you will also receive a pair of Anon goggles** just for bringing along your buddy!
Mint snowboard camps cater for beginners through to advanced, from piste to park, pipe and powder we have everything covered. Kick start your winter with the ever popular December Shred Progression camps to get your shred ahead of the game, or join the Burton Experience snowboarding programme which caters for those of you wishing to strap on a board for the first time. For riders with some weeks already clocked on the board we offer everything from a freestyle camp, to a backcountry shred week and a splitboard adventure camp. Try something new and keep entertained, progressing and having fun!
Have a look on our snowboard camp page on the Mint website for more information.
See you in the snow soon!
*Discount will be applied when balance is paid in full before the offer deadline
**First come first served basis based on payment in full and subject to stock availability
Mint Snowboard School are stoked to announce that, new for 2012, we are offering kids snowboard lessons for mini shredders, children aged between 4 and 8. Mint is collaborating with the Burton Kids on Snow / Riglet program to offer unique coaching for ankle-biters, who may be believed to be too young to meet other neccessary age requirements. Lessons are available in the French resorts of Morzine, Avoriaz & Les Gets.
We have a specialised fleet of European Burton Riglet snowboard equipment, designed specifically for young children – so youngsters from 4 to 8 years will be able to take their first steps into the world of snowboarding. Our selection of Burton boards go as short as 80 cm and boots down to a UK size 11 (euro 29).
Our dedicated snowboard instructors will provide a focus on fun through learning, so children will be able to adopt the basics of snowboarding in an exciting and stimulating environment. The initial steps will involve fun learning focused on balance and equipment awareness. As the days progress, children will be taken through a route of progression to include, basic turns and edge control… leading to the final end goal of riding the main slope.
Check out some of the fun our mini-snowboarders have been having with the Mint team: Mint kids snowboarding.
Mint Snowboard school is keen to get the local snowboard community learning & progressing, so we are organising snowboard programs specific for you… whether you are year round residents, seasonaires or kids living locally around Morzine, Les Gets, Avoriaz or Chatel. So to help you take your riding to the next level we are offering group courses at significantly reduced rates to all locals this winter.
We are will be running the following courses:
Freestyle progression course: Aimed for those who already have a reasonable freestyle level and wish to progress their freestyle skills to the next level. Will include rail riding, jumps, spinning, halfpipe & piste jibbing.
Freestyle introduction course: Aimed at relative newbees to freestyle snowboarding this course will include an introduction to rail riding, jumps, spinning, halfpipe & piste jibbing.
Girls Only Freestyle course: This course is for girls only, allowing you to develop your freestyle skills in a relaxed and supportive atmosphere! Will include rail riding, jumps, spinning, halfpipe & piste jibbing.
Technique progression courses of Learner, Cruiser & Advanced rider levels: Content will depend on level, but focused on improving basic to advanced technical skills to allow progression in areas such as riding steeper terrain, carving,riding variable terrain, off piste, freestyle as well as general confidence building.
Thursday & Friday afternoons, starting Friday 13th January 2012
4 x 3 hour lessons = 180€
6 x 3 hour lessons = 270€
Maximum of 7
Minimum of 5 required to run a group
If you are interested in more information or would like to book on a course then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.